A language assistant’s stay in Québec is often an integral part of their university studies. They are often required to complete an eight-to-nine-month practicum in a French-speaking environment in order to:
- Improve their knowledge of the French language.
- Become familiar with French culture in North America.
- Become acquainted with various aspects of life in Québec.
- Represent British culture abroad.
- Gain teaching experience.
- And, in certain cases, to obtain a university degree.
Assistants are people who:
- are in their twenties
- have a very good command of their mother tongue.
- have little or no knowledge of pedagogy or teaching.
- need to improve their knowledge of French as a second language.
- are making their first visit to Québec, Canada or North America.
- have undergone a selection interview in their native country and have been recommended for the position of language assistant.
The requesting organization must obtain the full consent of all the language teachers in the school to which the language assistant will be assigned. This agreement must be accompanied by a complete job description and a plan to ensure that the language assistant receives proper support and supervision both in and outside the school.